"It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin river, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America, in quest of the country of Kentucke.."
Following list of books can be seen as a "first aid". Many of the subjects are interlinked thus making it recommended to look over the whole list. Sadly, you would have to purchase since they aren't available at your local library (in Sweden). Visit our linkpage where links to sites selling material and books can be found. We highly recommend you to check the bibliography in books to get further sources to continue your quest.
Clothing and accoutrements
· Accouterments Vol. 1-3 - James R. Johnston.
· Colonial Frontier Guns - T.M. Hamilton.
· Craft Manual of North American Indian Footwear - George M. White.
· Firearms, Traps & Tools of the Mountain Men - Carl P. Russel.
· George Catlin & His Indian Gallery - Gurney & Heyman.
· Indian Clothing of the Great Lakes: 1740-1840 - Sheryl Hartman.
· In the Image of A. J. Miller - Shawn Webster.
· Recreating the American Longhunter - Joseph Ruckman.
· Red Coat and Brown Bess - Anthony D. Darling.
· The Knife in Homespun America - Madison Grant.
· The Collector's Guide to Point Blankets of the Hudson's Bay Company and other companies trading in North America - Harold Tichenor.
· Walk Softly - Moccasins in the Context of the Primary Documents - Cathy Johnson.
· Supply & Demand: The Ledgers & Gear of the Western Fur Trade - Scott "Doc Ivory" Olsen and Oliver McCloskey
· UMO Cayuse Handbook, - Upper Missouri Outfit Party
· Book of Buckskinning series Vol. 1-8 - Scurlock Publishing Co.
· Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn - Scott & Cathy Sibley.
· Tidings from the 18th Century - Beth Gilgun.
· 19th Century Plains Indian Dresses - Susan Jennys
· Sketchbook '56, Vol. 1 - Ted Spring.
· The Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook - James A. Hanson.
· The Longhunters Sketchbook - James A. Hanson.
· The Mountain Man Sketchbook, Vol. 1 & 2 - James A. Hanson & Kathryn J. Wilson.
· The Trade Gun Sketchbook - Charles E. Hanson.
· The Trade Rifle Sketchbook - Charles E. Hanson.
· The 1837 Sketchbook of the Western Fur Trade - Rex A. Norman.